Have you ever wondered what your calling is? In this episode, My Calling – How I knew, I share how I confidently knew what it was. I think we all have wondered at one time or another. It is a search that can be challenging and humbling. In both religious and secular communities this is a struggle that many experience regarding what they should do with their life. You know, that thing that gives them a deeper sense of meaning that we all long for. I found that meaning in serving God as outlined in episode 6 about purpose. The calling is how we go about serving that purpose and carrying it forward in action.
I remember sitting with the guidance counselor at school to discuss what I would do with my life. You know, that time when they try to align your interest, academic strengths, and possible majors with a suitable institution? You just kind of hope they get it right. Ultimately, life happens and adjustments get made or it was never right to begin with, we’re unfulfilled and we begin to search. Well, I took my search to God. I was shocked by where it led and learned much about myself in the process. At the end of the episode, I outline the key steps I saw in my experience.
I’d love to hear about your experience. Please feel free to add comments.
In addition to scripture, I found a number of resources helpful as I sought God for my calling. Click on any of the links for more information. I recommend all of these highly.
1) Unashamed to Bear His Name: Embracing the Stigma of Being a Christian
2) These Are the Days of Elijah: How God Uses Ordinary People to Do Extraordinary Things
3) What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question
4) Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity
5) The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? ( Expanded Edition)
6) Fresh Encounter: God’s Plan for Your Spiritual Awakening
7) Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival