Authenticity is About Being, discusses what it means to be genuine, true to who we are and what we claim to believe. In our world today, genuine believers must stand against the tide of a changing culture that tells us biblical values are irrelevant and wrong. We go deep. Here’s the biblical perspective; what it is and how its opposite, inauthenticity, shows up when what we say and do does not match the values we espouse. Icebergs are beautiful in the gleaming sun at sea. Only 10% is visible. The other 90% lurks in the cold, dark ocean below. What images of ourselves do we choose to project to the world? Are we masters of the game?
Welcome to one of the most practical episodes we have produced to date. It is full of stories that tickle the imagination. Authenticity is not about the saying. It is not about the doing. It is not about perfection. It is about striving and being. What we are on the inside, will come out in our thoughts, words and actions. Consider Judas. The disciples thought he was a true follower of Christ. None of them thought he would betray Jesus for 30 silver coins. But, Jesus knew.
Pastor Wendel muses that to know counterfeit money, you don’t study all the variations of fake. You study the genuine first because you can never know all the exceptions. This is a great encouragement to overcome and strive toward Christ-likeness while depending on God; following Christ’s example. When others hold you up to the light do they see you, or do they see Christ in you?
Here are some practical suggestions. Others do observe if we are genuine or not:
- Make promises you will keep; be true to your word
- Be honest in all circumstances; never sacrifice your integrity
- Seek mentors and/or accountability partners
- Allow only proper influences into your lives; God’s Word is the filter
- Do the right thing even though others might not
- Desire the truth; Don’t just snack on the gospel on Sundays; Be filled with Godly living
- Embrace vulnerability; Be careful not to cross the line and lose your testimony
- Don’t sway with what is popular at the expense of the truth. God’s standards don’t change
- Don’t build yourself up by tearing others down